The Senior Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina confirmed on Tuesday that the controversial 2016 budget proposal has been amended.
“Yes, some amendments were made to the Budget, but it was never withdrawn”, Adesina clarified.
“The SSA to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Enang, will be in a better position to brief you on the development. But he had said so last week that we did not withdraw the Budget. That is the position. We did not withdraw the Budget,” Adesina said.
President Muhammadu Buhari, had on December 22, 2015, laid the budget proposal of N6.08 trillion before a joint session of the National Assembly.
However, controversies have trailed the budget following the discovery of some discrepancies after its presentation. The Senate was billed to commence consideration of the budget proposal on Tuesday but did not do so thus, fuelling speculation that it may have been withdrawn by the Presidency or missing.
The speculations that the budget document was no longer at the National Assembly stirred up social media blizzard on Tuesday with critics mocking the government for the gaffe.
By Olisemeka Obeche