BURATAI-1

Newly appointed Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Buratai, has vowed to lead Nigerian troops to crush the Islamist insurgents in the North East, declaring that ‘Boko Haram would either beg for a cease-fire or face the wrath of highly motivated and combat ready soldiers.’

The Borno State-born Buratai, who took over command of the nation’s army last week, said he was ready to lead soldiers to the dens and enclaves of the insurgents in his bid to crush Boko Haram.

The ongoing activities of Boko Haram are assuming an alarming dimension in Borno and Yobe states as well as other parts of the north east. “We will not tolerate the killing of citizens and destruction of property; in as much as we urge you (troops) to adhere strictly to human rights abuses, the time to crush Hoko Haram and other criminal activities in this country is now or never,” he said.

As part of the revised operational strategy, the Buratai leadership has re-christened the operational code of the counter insurgency from “Operation Zaman Lafiya” to “Operation Zaman Lafiya Dole” – which in Hausa means ‘the quest for peace becomes a must’.

Buratai, who was in Yobe State to celebrate the Eid-el-fitri festival with  the Nigerian troops, moved to Borno on Sunday afternoon. He arrived Maiduguri by road and was received by the Borno State Deputy Governor, Zannah Mustapha, who immediately accompanied the army boss to visit the 103 Battalion of the 7 Division, Maiduguri in Konduga Town.

By Olisemeka Obeche (with agency reports)

[divider]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.