It has been revealed that the plan to transfer suspected Boko Haram members to Ekwulobia prison in Anambra State was planned and perfected by the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan. Jonathan hatched the obnoxious plan in 2012 but delayed its implementation after the 2015 election so that the he would not lose the votes of the South East. This insight was given on July 2 by Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State.
“In as much as the state government would not want to join issues with such section of the public, it is important to note that the policy of transferring Boko Haram inmates to Anambra State had been made since 2012 under the regimes of President Goodluck Jonathan and Mr. Peter Obi, but for the 2015 general elections which the then President was contesting for a second term. Since the transfer of the 47 inmates, panic had gripped the people of Ekwulobia as residents in the area were apprehensive of an imminent attack by members of the Boko Haram Islamic sect,’’ he said.
The governor, who spoke through his Senior Special Adviser on Political Matters, Mr. Chinedu Obidigwe, said the decision was taken during a seminar organized for officers and men of the Nigeria Prison Service (NPS) in which Ekwulobia and Kuje prisons in Anambra and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) respectively.
But former Governor Peter Obi, in a swift reaction, expressed shock about Governor Willie Obiano’s claims, describing it as a blatant lie. Valentine Obienyem, media aide to Peter Obi, was shocked that Governor Obiano would personally sign such a release laying claims to what appeared nauseating and childish. “The governor is clearly looking for an alibi for an action that was against the people. He should look elsewhere and not in the direction of Mr. Peter Obi, who, since he left office, had opted to stay away from Awka and not to distract the present government in any way.”
By Dike Onewuamaeze